Our 2017 – a retrospective
2017 was a year of many beginnings and the year we saw our first projects realised. One of our most important achievements of the year was the creation of important and valuable partnerships that form the base of our activity and that allows us to spread our concept of paradise everywhere.
Our year in projects:
- Borderline: new technologies, new media, new artistic forms – a three-days interdisciplinary project realised in collaboration with the National University of Theatre and Film in Bucharest, aimed at presenting a series of performances situated at the border between theatre, visual arts, dance, video and technology. The idea of the project was to create a cultural dialogue between the two countries (Switzerland and Romania) and to examine how these hybrid performances transcend and simultaneously broaden the boundaies of arts.
- Terror by Ferdinand von Schirach – a co-production with the Triennale del Teatro dell’Arte in Milan, directed by Kami Wilhelmina Manns, a theatre production in which the audience takes and active role by deciding the outcome of the piece. The production has started in 2017 with a reading performance at our workspace in Giubiasco and will have its premiere in May 2018 in Milan.
- Stations/ Heimkehr – an interdisciplinary film and conceptual design project for the Arsenal Museum of Contemporary Art (Sofia), by director Kami Manns, based on the story “Return home” by Franz Kafka. The project follows the current social trend of so-called multi-localism and investigates multilocal identities through conceptual design, video art and exhibition installation. The film will be presented in film festival and contemporary arts museums throughout Europe in 2018/19.
- Artistic residencies program – we started the program in 2017 with the first artist-in-residence of paradise is here, Aakash Odedra, who presented a Kathak dance workshop at our work space in Giubiasco. The program will continue in 2018 with other artistic residencies, that will include activities open to the local community.
We thank our partners for 2017:
- Public institutions: Canton Ticino, Swiss Embassy in Romania
- Foundations: Pro Helvetia, Migros Kulturprozent, Ticino Film Comission, Goethe Institut
- Academic centres: National University of Theatre and Film Bucharest, National Arts University Bucharest, Conservatorio della Svizzera Italiana, Palucca Hochschule für Tanz Dresden
- Theatres: La Triennale Teatro dell’Arte Milano, Teatro Sociale Bellinzona
- Artistic companies: Aakash Odedra Company, Trickster-p